Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS771698
PLEASE NOTE: The closing date has been extended as of Monday, 19 September 2022 at 3.25pm
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2022
We are seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated Gardener – Handyperson to join our friendly school.
As the Gardener - Handyperson you will work with our Senior Gardener - Handyperson to provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. The primary role of the position is gardening, maintenance is secondary. We require a gardener who is able to maintain and improve the school grounds which include an oval, playgrounds, hard courts and gardens.
You will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. You should be reliable, have a proactive approach to tasks and a strong work ethic. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. The Gardener - Handyperson should have good interpersonal skills and the ability to receive and be able to carry out instructions.
At Manjimup Senior High School, our approach to learning recognises the uniqueness of individuals and the importance of building relationships. As an Independent Public School catering for students from Year 7 to 12 we provide a supportive and caring environment equipping students with a strong sense of self-worth, leadership, and civic and environmental responsibility.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
For further information about Manjimup Senior High School please visit www.manjimupshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Robyn McCracken, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Manjimup, by telephoning (08) 9771 3404 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
During the school holiday period, please contact Robyn McCracken, Manager Corporate Services on mobile 0411 065 968 to discuss your queries.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current Line Manager; and
- A three (3) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, detailing your experience in the context of the role and business needs of the school.
- sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents; or
- Hand-deliver your completed application form and documents to the school reception, Manjimup Senior High School, Rutherford Street, Manjimup, WA 6258, before the closing date and time.
The application form for emailed and hand delivered applications can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course;
- Induction program within three months of commencement;
- Introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 3:30pm (WST) on Friday, 7 October 2022.
PROFORMA, FAXED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.