Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS764485
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2022
Yanchep Lagoon Primary School (PS) is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Gardener - Handyperson to join our school.
Our school has been here for more than 40 years, first as Yanchep Primary, then Yanchep District High School and now since 2018 Yanchep Lagoon Primary, continuing many years of service to this community and beyond.
Over the past three years our school has gone through a transformation with many new, modern buildings and facilities. We have retained many of our beautiful large trees which give a great ambience to the school. A magnificent new aviary has been built as part of the rejuvenation, housing many birds which have been an integral part of our school for many years.
We are seeking someone with innovative ideas and a can-do attitude to enhance the physical environment of the school, which will include liaising with our AIEO to create an Indigenous Garden at the entrance to the Administration block. The successful applicant will ideally have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy working to provide a suitable growing environment.
You will be responsible for keeping the school grounds in a neat and tidy condition. This includes removal of leaves and litter daily and maintaining tools and equipment. The successful applicant will have the ability to do minor maintenance and handy person jobs including moving furniture, as well as assisting to maintain the school aviary and assist with carnival line-marking.
Our staff, many of whom live locally, give generously of their time offering after school sports programs, an Environmental Club, Breakfast Club and a before school Reading School Program. Student well-being is a high priority.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Yanchep Lagoon Primary School please visit yanchep.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Christine Ross, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9562 8200 or emailing Christine.Ross@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than one (1) page, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 16 August 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.