Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE742758
This is a permanent full-time position commencing ASAP
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- 10 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
The Role and our Branch
The Public Schools Planning Division is seeking a Boarding Supervisor to join Merredin Residential College.
We encourage all applicants with diverse professional experiences to apply.
This job opportunity is unique if you are a caring, dedicated and enthusiastic person who has a genuine desire to assist young people complete their education while living away from home and family.
The successful applicant will support and reinforce appropriate values and behaviours of students, fulfilling duty of care requirements in line with Department policy and respecting and embracing diversity within the student population. You will provide and supervise opportunities which support the academic, social, emotional and physical development of students. Planning and implementing a wide range of activities suitable for students to participate in and ensuring students receive appropriate care that supports their wellbeing.
You will regularly communicate with colleagues, parents, school staff and others involved in supporting student development and wellbeing and attend college functions and promotion activities as required by the College Manager, including award presentations, special events, orientation and open days, regional field days and agricultural shows.
The skilled and dedicated staff at Merredin Residential College provides the best standard of care to our students 24 hours a day. Under the direction of the College Manager, our supervisors and staff provide a range of positive role models for the child’s growth and development.
Our supervisors maintain connections with parents and the child’s school to ensure progress is monitored and that they are reaching their potential in their secondary education and personal development. All supervisory staff hold current qualifications to ensure the best possible standard of duty of care.
For these positions, the person's gender is a genuine occupational qualification (Equal Opportunity Act 1984). Only applicants in the pool possessing the required qualification will be considered for appointments in these circumstances.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Your written application will be assessed against the following Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated skills and understandings appropriate to the supervision and care of students in a residential setting.
- Demonstrated capacity to initiate, plan, document and safely lead a wide range of leisure activities for secondary students.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, with the ability to write plans, pastoral notes and reports; and interact positively with students and parents including those with diverse multicultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated organisational skills and ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully meet and maintain the required eligibility and training requirements of this position.
For a full outline of the role responsibilities and selection criteria, please refer to the JDF.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
All inquiries are welcomed
Please contact Caine Denyer, Manager – Merredin Residential College by telephoning (08) 9041 7500 or emailing Caine.Denyer@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions. It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the selection criteria listed above, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please phone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please phone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold (and maintain) a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision Making within six months of commencement of employment
- work according to rostered hours which may include nights, weekends and public holidays
- obtain (prior to first rostered shift working with students) and maintain a current:
- First Aid Certificate – Provide CPR (HLTAID009); and
- First Aid Certificate – Provide First Aid (HLTAID011);
- within six months of commencement of employment obtain and maintain a current:
- LR Class Driver’s Licence and a Passenger Transport Driver (PTD) authorisation;
- Aquatic Rescue for Group lll Pool Award*; and
- Surf Rescue Certificate*;
- obtain a Certificate IV in Community Services – Student Residential Care (CHC42015) within six months of commencement of employment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 18 August 2022.
Lodgement is system generated. Any submissions at, or after, 4:30pm will not be accepted.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our division for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.