Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS760104
Peel Language Development School (PLDS) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2023. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year, and up to the end of Term 3, 2023.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs (SNEA) you should have a strong, positive and supportive attitude and will be proactive about working with the Teachers and Specialists to help provide an inclusive and supportive learning environment for students. Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. They will, when required, provide feedback on educational programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of student goals.
PLDS opened in 2002 and was the first purpose-built facility for early language intervention in Western Australia. PLDS caters for a population of students from Kindergarten to Year 3 who have a Language Impairment. This refers to children who have moderate to severe difficulties in learning language that can lead to significant difficulties in acquiring literacy.
The main campus is co-located with Rockingham Lakes Primary School situated in Port Kennedy. The school also has satellite classes co located at Mandurah Primary School, Pinjarra Primary School and Bungaree Primary School. Suitable applicants from this pool may be required to work at any one of the campuses.
The concept of a 'school within a school' is unique within the educational landscape of Western Australia. Fostering close co-operation and collaboration between school communities provides opportunities for inclusive planning and delivery of this unique concept. Our specialist knowledge, skills and practice add value to the co-located schools we work with.
PLDS employs highly motivated and dedicated professionals who are committed to working in a team environment. A genuine commitment to the school community, our Business Plan, and the PLDS SNEA Role Statement Agreement is needed.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Peel Language Development School can be found by visiting plds.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job-related information:
Please contact Jenny-Lee Fussell, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9523 7830 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Jenny-Lee Fussell on 0408 408 176
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work-Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 20 October 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.