Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS756773
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2022
Wickepin Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint an energetic and motivated individual to fill the role of Education Assistant – Special Needs and join their friendly team.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs, you will ideally assist the teacher with the implementation and delivery of planned educational programs. You should also ideally assist with implementing individual student or small group programs. The successful applicant should possess initiative and the ability to take small groups of children for explicit instruction to scaffold or extend their learning. You will ideally be organised and able to use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and well-being of students and maintenance of the learning environment.
Since its foundation more than 100 years ago, Wickepin PS has provided students in the town of Wickepin and the surrounding farming community with a sound base to their education. The school continues to provide students with outstanding learning opportunities within the rich traditions and cultural history of the school. Our staff work together to offer an education that meets the needs of individual students and provides the foundation for each student's future education.
Wickepin PS provides Educational Specialist teachers that respond to the current needs of students. Students are offered support in the Literacy learning area to maintain a focus on the priorities of the school. Our committed staff work collaboratively to ensure that the individual needs of the students are met. Staffing is reviewed on an annual basis after data is analysed to ensure that our students receive access to high quality teachers in the learning areas that will support their needs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Wickepin Primary School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Jillian Norwell, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Wickepin, by telephoning (08) 9888 2300 or emailing Jill.Norwell@education.wa.edu.au.
During the school holiday period, please contact Jill Norwell on 0427 685 899.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Friday, 15 July 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.