Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS755208
This is a permanent full-time position commencing in Term 3, 2022
WA College of Agriculture – Harvey (WACOA - Harvey) is seeking an innovative and enthusiastic Chef to join their team.
The successful applicant will instruct and supervise all kitchen staff in day-to-day operations whilst ensuring they are adequately trained and multi skilled. You will manage the day-to-day catering requirements of the College and external groups, catering for special occasions and functions as required.
The role includes:
- menu planning and preparation incorporating the use of college produce.
- liaising with college farm enterprises for the supply of college produce.
- stock control.
- purchasing of goods.
- budget monitoring.
- supervising and training of catering staff.
The successful applicant will ideally be a team player and possess strong organisational skills to manage catering for the College boarding facility. You are required to hold a trade qualification in cooking or equivalent, as per the attached Job Description Form. This position is full time with weekend work being part of the roster.
The Chef will manage the economical and efficient coordination of the kitchen which prepares and serves meals to boarding and day students, seven days per week. The successful applicant will be required to establish comprehensive menus and cater for approximately 200 students aged 15 to 18.
The successful applicant will also be responsible for managing high levels of quality control, storage, and hygiene in accordance with occupational health and safety standards. It is highly desirable for applicants to have experience catering for large groups.
WACOA - Harvey is located about 1.5 hours south of Perth, Western Australia and is 20 minutes from the ocean and 30 minutes north of Bunbury. It is situated in the heart of the Harvey irrigation district, which services the dairy and horticultural industries and enjoys access to a significant range of agricultural industry and recreational opportunities.
The College is co-educational and can fully board up to 128 students who come from all areas of the state. A small percentage of students access the program on a day time basis from closer locations.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience in a commercial cooking environment and ability to organise and prepare meals for approximately 100 people on a daily basis.
- Leadership and management skills including the ability to train and supervise catering staff.
- Experience in stock control, including budgeting and purchasing of food and kitchen supplies.
- Organisational skills with the ability to work cooperatively in a team environment and prioritise tasks to meet conflicting timelines.
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to effectively liaise with individuals at all levels.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about WA College Of Agriculture - Harvey can be found by visiting www.harveyag.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Bernard Murnane, Head of Residence, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Wokalup, by telephoning (08) 9782 2100 or emailing email@example.com.
During the school holiday period, please contact Teresa Hickman, Manager Corporate Services, on (08) 9782 2100.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work-Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a trade qualification in cooking or equivalent;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 4 July 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.