Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS756235
Bicton Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2023. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2023.
We are looking for highly competent and motivated Education Assistants with a passion for working with students with special needs. The priorities and goals of this position are to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical, and social skills.
The suitable applicants will work with students with behavioural or high needs, including students on the autism spectrum, physical disabilities, mental and health conditions. As an Education Assistant – Special Needs, you will work with students one on one, and in groups with a focus on core subject learning and use of appropriate behaviours.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will assist students to develop communication and self-regulation in a variety of educational settings. The role of an Education Assistant – Special Needs focuses primarily on the teaching and learning of students through assisting the teacher in delivering planned education programs, and through the provision of a supportive and inclusive learning environment.
The suitable applicants will ideally be caring, proactive, and responsive individuals who possess good written and oral communication skills to enable the implementation of individual or small group-based programs. You will ideally work in an environment committed to whole school approaches; self-reflection and continuous self-improvement; working collaboratively with the classroom teacher in delivering a motivating and quality educational experience.
Bicton PS is a dynamic learning community working collaboratively to assist students to realise their potential and to develop creative, positive and independent people. We aim for personal excellence based on recognition of individual differences, supported by a positive learning environment of developmentally appropriate instruction. Our school promotes a respectful, nurturing, and supportive environment. Our committed teachers, dedicated support staff and supportive parents work together to meet our school's vision, to nurture, inspire and achieve success.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Bicton Primary School can be found by visiting bictonps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Lisa Sinclair, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9205 5800 or emailing email@example.com.
During the school holiday period, please contact Donna Madden on 0407 471 871.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 15 July 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.