Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS753518
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2022
Willetton Senior High School (SHS) are seeking to appoint a dedicated and hardworking Design and Technology Assistant to join our friendly and supportive team.
As the successful applicant you will be required to prepare the classroom and workshop to enable the classroom teacher to instruct students effectively and prepare specialised equipment and materials and provide operational advice for design and technology workshops, classes and demonstrations.
This role will require you to maintain, evaluate and assess technical equipment, carry out repairs and maintenance on design and technology equipment and arrange off-site repairs. The successful applicant will assist with the ordering of supplies and equipment, liaise with suppliers, negotiate prices and obtain quotes and ensures adequate supplies are maintained.
The successful applicant will ideally have a sound knowledge of the Work health and safety (WHS) requirements pertaining to chemicals, tools and plant within the Design and Technology area. You should have good interpersonal skills to enable positive relationships with staff and students
Willetton SHS is one of the largest schools in Western Australia, drawing its student enrolment from diverse geographic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. With a student population in excess of 2600 and approximately 220 teaching staff and 120 support staff on campus the school is inclusive and comprehensive providing courses for Years 7 to 12. It is the school of choice for many local and international families.
The school is committed to the intellectual, creative and social development of our students by the provision of stimulating and relevant programs and orderly teaching and classroom practices. Pastoral care and academic achievement are very strong. Community support and parental involvement are cornerstones of our culture.
As one of the leading and top Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) recognised schools in Western Australia, the school regularly attains outstanding Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) achievement results. Complementing these achievements, the school has a high emphasis on the quality and delivery of General and Vocational Education and Training (VET) based courses to help supply a holistic education setting.
The school offers a number of specialist programs to meet student needs and interests. These programs include Gifted and Talented, a Business Internship with Murdoch University and Specialist Basketball. There are numerous after school sporting teams, debating and poetry clubs and we are a Lead Language School. Willetton SHS prides itself on an ethos that all students will be successful.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Knowledge, skills and experience in operating technical/industrial equipment within a design and technology workshop/class or similar environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Western Australian Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 and its coverage in industrial environments.
- Knowledge of Design and Technology subjects relevant to secondary schools.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to deal effectively with individuals at all levels.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Willetton Senior High School can be found by visiting willettonshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Rebecca Fleming, Human Resource Officer, by telephoning (08) 9334 7265 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Hold or obtain a current Working with Children Check;
- Hold a Certificate III in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent qualification or experience; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 30 June, 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.