Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS757462
Shenton College Deaf Education Centre are seeking to establish a pool of Auslan Education Assistants, for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 and 2023 school years. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 and 2023 school years.
Shenton College Deaf Education Centre (SCDEC) is a specialist facility for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students that operates in partnership with Shenton College. All the Deaf Education Centre facilities are embedded within Shenton College, to construct an inclusive learning environment. Shenton College itself is a secondary school divided into three parts; the Middle School, Lower Upper School and the Upper Senior School. Shenton College is in Shenton Park, on the railway line and only 10 minutes from central Perth by train. Currently, SCDEC has 34 enrolments from Years 7 to 12. The students can select subjects and courses offered by Shenton College as well as engage in Deaf Education Centre programs that are tailored to the students' educational and vocational directions.
As an Auslan Education Assistant, you will be an Auslan interpreter in a range of classroom settings, including mainstream subjects as well as Deaf Education Centres. You may also interpret events such as school camps, theatre performances, assemblies, and staff meetings. Auslan Education assistants provide support to the classroom, school, and community to ensure high quality learning programs are provided in an inclusive learning environment. This role can also include working in small groups to tutor students with teacher direction. You will liaise with both mainstream staff and SCDEC staff to advocate for students’ accessibility needs and work together as a team to provide the best possible learning outcomes.
The following skills and attributes are highly desirable:
- NAATI certification as an Auslan interpreter (or working towards)
- Previous experience working as an Auslan interpreter
- Competency in interpreting from English to Auslan, as well as Auslan to English
- Prior connection to, or involvement with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and build positive relationships with staff and students
- Flexibility, professionalism, and a “can do” attitude
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Well-developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- Well-developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Shenton College Deaf Education Centre can be found by visiting Shenton.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
School tour available:
For potential applicants who would like to learn more about Shenton College Deaf Education Centre and the role of Education Assistant - AUSLAN, we welcome you to contact Jane Murphy email@example.com to organise a tour of the college before Thursday, 30th June 2022. Tours are unavailable during school holidays.
For further job related information:
Please contact Christine Woods, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9366 9100 or emailing Christine.Woods@education.wa.edu.au.
During the school holiday period, please contact Christine Woods on 0403 318 082.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school;
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position;
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check, and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 18 July 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.