Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS755217
This is a permanent part-time (0.2FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2022
Bungaree Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) to join their friendly team.
As an AIEO, you will provide support and effective assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, their parents/guardians, teachers, the school, and the community through the knowledge, understanding and sharing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, language, and culture.
The successful applicant will act as a liaison between the community and the school to develop an education program that is relevant to both educational and cultural needs. AIEO’s assist and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring and pastoral care to ensure their participation and achievement in the school environment. The AIEO will also support teachers to implement the Aboriginal Cultural Standards Framework and reconciliation action plan
The successful applicant should display a strong link to Aboriginal Culture and establish positive working relationships with our families and local community. An ability to work both in teams and individually to achieve successful outcomes for students and their families will be highly regarded. The successful applicant will become an integral part of our Student Services team who work together each Monday.
Bungaree PS has been proudly serving the educational needs of Rockingham families for over 50 years, our school community is diverse, supportive and ever evolving. As an Independent Public School, we enhance the needs and aspirations of our students, their families and the local community. At Bungaree PS we cultivate a safe and healthy environment where everyone feels valued and included, where students strive for excellence through effort and challenge themselves to achieve the highest standards.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals
- ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs
- ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs
- good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students
- ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Bungaree Primary School can be found by visiting bungareeps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Joyce Bootsma, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9553 8400 or emailing Joyce.Bootsma@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Aboriginality is considered essential for this position under section 50(d) of the Western Australian Equal Opportunity Act.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 22 July 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.