Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA749978
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2022
Are you able to help aspirant Aboriginal students follow their dreams?
Katanning Senior High School (SHS) has an exciting opportunity for a motivated and committed leader with experience and expertise in working with Aboriginal students to help them reach their potential.
Follow the Dream provides enriched educational and experiential opportunities for Aboriginal students. The program celebrates culture, strengthens a sense of belonging and connection to community, and empowers students to pursue their aspirations. The successful applicant will possess an understanding of the program intent, requirements, and an appreciation of issues regarding Aboriginal education, students, and cultural perspectives.
The role of the Program Coordinator includes identifying students for participation in the program and monitoring and supporting their progress. The program provides after-school tuition and individualised mentoring, and support and case management to assist these students to continue achieving excellent outcomes at school, including achievement of their Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) on completion of Year 12.
The successful applicant will be required to undertake extensive liaison with key stakeholders to deliver the program requirements. This includes the ability to collaborate effectively with Aboriginal students and their families, school staff, tutors, ‘outreach’ schools, and outside agencies. The use of a range of data from a variety of sources will be used to monitor progress of the student, linking further support and providing value adding opportunities to students in the program.
The Program Coordinator will ideally be resourceful, innovative, organised, collaborative, and able to identify the needs of students in the program. A key aspect of the role is to ensure that the program has a prominent presence in the school and the local community.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team, The Program Coordinator Follow the Dream will work collaboratively to lead and support school wide initiatives in line with school priorities.
Katanning SHS is a Year 7 to 12 Independent Public School located in the heart of the Great Southern region of WA, part of the Wheatbelt Education Region. Katanning SHS serves a cultural and linguistically diverse community. We celebrate and respect individual difference and work in harmony to ensure success for all students. Our highly professional and experienced teachers are committed to ensuring that all students follow our school motto of “We Strive to Excel”.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning practices, particularly relating to Aboriginal students and their communities.
- Extensive skills and experience in developing, implementing and evaluating learning programs and strategies at a school, region or system level.
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership that builds capacity, deals effectively with change and generates innovative solutions related to achieving educational outcomes.
- Highly developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to conduct research, prepare reports and establish effective working relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve planned outcomes.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Katanning Senior High School can be found by visiting www.katanningshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Geoffrey MacNicol, Deputy Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Katanning, by telephoning (08) 9891 1100 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 2 June 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.