Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA749413
This is a six (6) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2022.
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
Kelmscott Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a focussed, highly motivated and dynamic Head of Learning Area (HOLA) - Health, Outdoor and Physical Education (HOPE).
The Head of Learning Area – HOPE, as a member of the Senior Leadership Group, will work collaboratively with the Principal and other members of the school administration team to provide educational leadership in the school and community by developing and promoting the school vision as articulated in the current Business Plan. They are expected to facilitate positive teaching and learning outcomes in Health, Outdoor and Physical Education through effective performance management, modelling of excellent classroom practice and promoting a culture of success.
You should possess an excellent understanding of the Western Australian Curriculum, assessment, and reporting requirements for Years 7 to 12. This knowledge, combined with pedagogical skills, should enable the development of programs differentiated for the specific learning needs of all students across the full range of abilities. You will also ideally possess the capacity to lead and evaluate moderation activities that ensure consistent and comparable judgements of student learning to meet curriculum and school or system requirements.
Applicants should be committed to effectively leading a Professional Learning Community within the HOPE Learning Area and fully contribute to the extensive sporting programs within the school. The capacity to engage in innovative practices and to contribute to strategic planning within the Learning Area would be highly desirable.
By undertaking supportive performance management processes, the HOLA will ensure that teachers in their team are developing consistent practices that maximise student learning and engagement. As the successful applicant, you will ideally have experience in leading reflective performance development discussions with staff, based on a comprehensive knowledge of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers. This may be through coaching, developing an ethos of teacher self-reflection, feedback, data analysis and a review of formative assessment practices. Facilitating the implementation of instructional intelligences, classroom observation and collaboration as both a leader and a participant, you should also model highly reflective practices as an instructional leader.
Kelmscott SHS recognises that students have different interests and abilities, we cater to the diversity of student needs by providing relevant and engaging programs across several contexts. A broad curriculum is offered which includes several specialist electives in years 7 to 10, as well as Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking (ATAR), General, Vocational Education and Training (VET) pathways in Senior School. Professional capabilities in Outdoor Education or other specialist HOPE areas including Soccer and Athletics would also be advantageous.
Kelmscott SHS is a school of opportunity for students offering Department of Education endorsed Specialist Programs in Agriculture and Music, Gifted & Talented Secondary Selective Entrance Program and a range of Kelmscott Extension Programs (KEP) in Mathematics, Science, English and Humanities & Social Sciences. We are only one of two schools to provide Gifted & Talented online to rural areas. We have a proud reputation of promoting students to be active citizens at the local, state, national and international levels. Students at our school have a diversity of ethnic backgrounds and we celebrate this diversity as a proud Independent Public School.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kelmscott Senior High School can be found by visiting www.kshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Elisa Lewis, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9495 7400 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for three (3) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 1 June 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED