Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS749353
Suitable applicants from vacancy 691553 need not apply
Are you ready to take on a challenge, help make a difference and join a dynamic team?
Wirrabirra Education Support Centre (ESC) are seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year, up to the end of term 1 2023.
Wirrabirra ESC is an independent public school that caters for approximately 50 students with special needs from years K-6.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education and therapy programs which include ABLEWA and Western Australian Curriculum, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and Physiotherapy Programs. You will also provide feedback on educational and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education. It is desirable for applicants to have experience working with students with special needs including skills and experiences in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) Strategies, discrete trial training, Direct Instruction, Key Word Sign, TouchChat, Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) Books and varied alternative communication strategies both electronic and paper versions, ICT (including the use of iPads, computers and interactive whiteboards), Diana Rigg, Treatment and Education of Autistic and Communication related Handicapped Children (TEACCH) and good behaviour management.
We are seeking positive team members who will enjoy working in a collaborative team environment. Suitable applicants will benefit from our supportive and inclusive working environment where there are good opportunities for professional learning. Wirrabirra ESC caters for students aged between four and twelve years old. Our students have varying degrees of intellectual and/or physical disabilities and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder. With specially trained staff and facilities, we are able to offer individualised programs that best suit the diverse needs of each of our students within a safe and inclusive environment. We share a Campus with Wirrabirra Primary School in the suburb of Gosnells. This location allows a range of opportunities for students to integrate with their mainstream peers.
Wirrabirra ESC is committed to providing a safe, secure, learning environment in which students are given the opportunity to develop their individual potential and to acquire skills, attitudes and knowledge to enable them to become responsible members of a changing society. Values are incorporated into all aspects of learning. Great care is taken to ensure students learn in the most appropriate learning environment.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Wirrabirra Education Support Centre can be found by visiting wirrabirraesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Bec Day, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9234 6850 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 30 May 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.