Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS749095
Ocean Road Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2023. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2023.
As the Education Assistant - Special Needs, you would, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs and in the delivery of planned education programs, with the objective of achieving clearly defined learning outcomes. You will apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning or relevant qualifications.
Suitable applicants will ideally have a Certificate IV in Education Support and have experience in working with students with a variety of needs, including Autism Spectrum Disorder, anxiety, trauma and in supporting the needs of students with self-regulation of behaviour and social and emotional responses. Experience in using a variety of strategies to develop communication and socialisation skills is also highly desirable.
Applicants should value developing positive relationships with students, have a ‘can do’ attitude and the ability to anticipate and adapt to change, showing initiative, flexibility and creative problem solving to produce the best opportunity for students. Knowledge of and experience with school based programs including Letters and Sounds, Zones of Regulation and MultiLit would be highly desirable.
At Ocean Road PS we provide a safe, caring and inclusive learning environment that encourages all to fulfil their potential and contribute positively to society. We are committed to providing dynamic educational programs in order to meet the diverse needs of our students. Our core values of Kindness, Resilience, responsibility and Respect,; and our commitment to “Putting Children First” underpin everything that we do.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Ocean Road Primary School can be found by visiting oceanroadps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Julie Walkden, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9584 7150 or emailing Julie.Walkden2@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 May 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.