Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS748271
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2022
Bunbury Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Assistant Gardener – Handyperson to join their team.
To be successful in this role you will have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy maintaining the grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of our staff, students and school community.
The Assistant Gardener - Handyperson will provide gardening, grounds and facility management support to ensure a safe and clean school environment. Under the guidance of the Head Gardener – Handyperson, they will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Assistant Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
About the school
Bunbury SHS is an Independent Public School and this flexibility in the way business is done enables full support of the range of special programs that are on offer in the school. These include the Bunbury Elite Sports Training (BEST) Program and the Visual Art Specialist Program (VASP).
Bunbury SHS was established in 1918 and is built on an impressive site on one of the city of Bunbury's highest points, Boulter's Heights. It is the fourth oldest government school in the state; thus, is entrenched in history and has very loyal and strong support from a large and diverse group of former students, parents and staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Bunbury Senior High School please visit www.bunburyshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Sue Gledhill, Manager Corporate Services on, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Bunbury, by telephoning (08) 9797 8900 or emailing Sue.Gledhill@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than one (2) pages, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below: (Selection criteria will be inserted to assist applicants)
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and apply safe working practices.
- Ability to assist in maintaining both soft and hard landscaped areas.
- Ability in the practical application and safe use of hand tools.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 May 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.