Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS744747
This is a permanent part-time (0.2FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2022
Do you want to make a positive difference in your local community?
Belmont Primary School (PS) is seeking an enthusiastic and organised Gardener - Handyperson to join their friendly and energetic team.
The successful applicant will be required to perform basic gardener/handyperson duties and maintain and present the school grounds, gardens and sporting areas in a clean and tidy condition, providing a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. You will maintain tools and horticultural equipment in a serviceable condition and perform minor repairs and maintenance in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. You will also be expected to monitor and maintain the reticulation systems and the formal and informal sports grounds.
The successful applicant will ideally possess good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to receive and carry out instructions as required. You will perform tasks and duties using safe work practices and maintain accurate gardening records.
Belmont PS has an enrolment of 80 students attending from Belmont, Ascot, Ascot Waters and parts of Cloverdale. The small size of the school enables staff to know most of the parents on a first name basis and there is a great deal of informal communication. We have a very strong small community social atmosphere where students, parents and staff are friendly and caring.
The school grounds are attractive and well maintained. Since 2020 Belmont PS has undergone major renovations and upgrades to buildings and surrounds and projects such as nature play areas kitchen and garden areas.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Belmont Primary School please visit www.belmontps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Pani Fitzpatrick, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 6216 1800 or emailing email@example.com
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than one (1) page, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 20 May 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.