Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS749402
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2022
East Hamersley Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint an Education Assistant – Special Needs.
East Hamersley PS staff are outstanding people who always possess strong moral purpose and professional integrity. Staff are committed to self-development and have a desire to improve their ability to ensure the best possible outcomes are reached for every student, every day. The successful applicant will be an advocate for evidence based, best practice approaches to working with students with diagnosed and imputed disabilities.
As a Special Needs Education Assistant, you will primarily work with the classroom Teacher to design and implement SEN plans for students with diagnosed and imputed disabilities. High level interpersonal skills are required to develop successful relationships with students and staff to create a quality learning environment. In addition, the ability to develop relationships with parents and interagency staff will be highly critical to the success of developed programs.
Knowledge of ASD, PTSD, ID and specific language disorders will be beneficial in this process. Applicants who can improve students’ ability to self-regulate and work towards independence will be highly regarded.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about East Hamersley Primary School can be found by visiting www.easthamersleyps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
Please contact James Baker, Principal by telephoning (08) 9462 9550 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 26 May 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.