Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS720719
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Derby District High School (DHS) is seeking an enthusiastic Senior Gardener - Handyperson to join our friendly and supportive team.
The successful applicant will ideally have experience in maintaining grounds and gardens in schools or parks and gardens. Experience in servicing gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks such as those on buildings and irrigation systems is highly desirable. To be successful in this role you should possess knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals. Knowledge and experience of maintenance and hazardous chemicals are highly desirable.
Derby DHS is located in Derby which is situated at the southern end of King Sound in the Kimberley region of Western Australian. Derby is 220km east of Broome by road and is 2463km north of Perth. It was the first town settled in the Kimberley. Derby is well supported with a range of government infrastructures. Its location near the King Sound and a number of rivers provides for many boating and fishing recreational activities - but not swimming!
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Derby District High School please visit Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Mr Doug Anderson, Senior Gardener (during school holidays) on 0427 917 774 or Kellie Randall, Manager of Corporate Services (available from 24 January 2022) on (08) 9193 3003, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Derby, alternatively you can email Kellie.Randall@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please address selection criteria (2 and 3) by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and apply safe working practices.
- Ability to assist in maintaining both soft and hard landscaped areas.
- Ability in the practical application and safe use of hand tools.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 28 January 2022
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED