Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS721320
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Hammond Park Secondary College (SC) is looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated Youth Engagement and Support Worker.
The Youth Engagement and Support Worker will collaborate with the Student Wellbeing Team and external agencies to improve the wellbeing, attendance, resilience and behaviours of students across -the college. The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and implementing positive support strategies and programs that foster student engagement, both inside and outside the classroom.
A key aspect of this role is developing and maintaining strong relationships with students and their families to increasing regular attendance and engagement, and promote wellbeing to enhance student learning outcomes. The successful applicant will ideally have the skills and experience necessary to implement appropriate engagement and intervention programs for students requiring support. The role requires a highly organised person who can work as an effective team member and independently and involves appropriate data entry, report writing, participation in case conferences as well as management of student case notes. Applicants who are passionate, innovative and committed are encouraged to apply. Knowledge of the local community, support agencies and programs is highly desirable.
Located in Hammond Park on Irvine Parade, the college opened in 2020 to Year 7 Students. The college buildings include state of the art classrooms, a library, administration and extensive student services area. The college also features specialist facilities for performing and visual arts, science laboratories, food and textiles, design and technology workshops and a gymnasium. The cafeteria is the hub of the central precinct and provides indoor and outdoor seating, landscaped gardens and open spaces. Multipurpose courts and oval were also included in the first stage of the build.
Stage 2 of construction will open in 2023 and include additional learning area classrooms, sports courts and playing fields. In 2022 the college will have up 600 students in Years 7-9.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Considerable experience working with individuals or small groups of students who are or may be at risk and implementing strategies to improve educational outcomes.
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish effective working relationships with people from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Negotiation, mediation and conflict resolutions skills with relevant experience working with students who require support.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team without direct supervision.
- Effective planning and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities within timelines.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Hammond Park Secondary College can be found by visiting Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications
For further job related information:
Please contact Joanne Willesee, Principal, by telephoning 0436 918 792 or emailing Joanne.Willesee@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Joanne Willesee on 0436 918 792
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au)
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 25 January 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.