Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE729637
This position is available on a five (5) year fixed term, full time basis, commencing ASAP
Drive excellence and educational reform across our public schools
Make a positive difference to our students
The Department of Education is the WA public sector’s largest employer, with over 58,000 staff across the state delivering quality education to over 319,000 students.
We are seeking a progressive and dynamic leader for the role of Deputy Director General, Schools. In this role you will oversee our schools and regional offices - the operations arm of education. You will drive excellence in education across the Western Australia public school system and support schools and regions to meet the needs of all students through implementing the Department’s strategic initiatives.
Reporting to the Director General of Education, you will be a senior member of the Corporate Executive team and a key contributor to shaping and managing system strategy. You will be responsible for:
- Working as part of the Corporate Executive team to advance the Director General’s strategic agenda.
- Leading the team of Directors of Education across the 8 education regions
- Promoting excellence in teaching and learning in accordance with the Department’s strategic directions and quality teaching initiatives
- Working with Government and community leaders to ensure appropriate support for students and their families.
- Shaping and implementing operational policies to achieve student and system outcomes
You will lead system-wide educational reform and support the Director General, Minister and key stakeholders to deliver quality education outcomes for students. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are key when engaging community, Government and education.
Candidates with extensive experience in education or educational leadership roles at a senior organisational level are encouraged to apply.
More details on the role and the selection criteria can be found in the attached Job Description Form (JDF). You can also visit education.wa.edu.au to find out more about the Department of Education.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (the selection criteria):
- Shapes and manages strategy
- Achieves results
- Builds productive relationships
- Exemplifies personal integrity and self-awareness
- Communicates and influences effectively
Applications will be assessed against these work-related requirements. The business needs of the Department will also be considered. It is recommended that you consider all information contained in this advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please contact Lisa Rodgers, Director General by telephoning (08) 9264 4165 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing Selection Criteria 1, 2 and 3. Responses should be in the context of the role Please note that for applicants who are shortlisted, all selection criteria listed in the JDF will be assessed at some stage during the selection process;
- A current CV outlining your experience and capabilities relevant to the role; and
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please phone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please phone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance before commencing employment
- the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- training specific to this role required by Department policy; and
- the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au).
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 21 January 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our division for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
A four (4) day breach period will apply to this selection process.