Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS725483
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2022
Tom Price Senior High School (SHS) are seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Laboratory Technician to join our team.
As Laboratory Technician you will provide support to teaching staff in the area of routine chemical and equipment preparation, and construction of simple apparatus for science classes whilst ordering supplies, equipment and managing stock levels. The successful applicant will perform basic repairs and maintenance on the equipment whilst constructing teaching aids as required. Additionally, you will be responsible for the labelling, maintaining and safe storing of laboratory chemicals, equipment and resources and the disposal of chemical, physical, and biological laboratory materials.
The successful applicants should have initiative, good interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills, as well as exceptional organisational skills. The successful applicant will also ideally be motivated, and possess the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team. At Tom Price SHS, we provide a quality education and nurturing learning environment that prepares our students to achieve their goals, both academic and non-academic. Our school’s vision is to inspire students to embrace their diversity and be passionate about learning in order to achieve their personal best.
Tom Price SHS is an Independent Public School located near the picturesque surrounds of the Karijini National Park 1600km from Perth, servicing students who live in the towns of Tom Price, Paraburdoo and the nearby Aboriginal communities Wakuthuni and Bellary.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Tom Price SHS can be found by visiting www.tompriceshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Barb O'Neill, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Tom Price, by telephoning (08) 9188 3650 or emailing email@example.com
During the school holiday period, please contact Barb O’Neill on 0438 901 099.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience;
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 4 February 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.