Suitable applicants from IPS/SS700695 need not apply
Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS719244
Esperance Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2022.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. You will also assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. When required, you will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
The Education Assistants - Special Needs assist the teacher or therapist to understand when there is communication difficulty between them and a student and, under teacher direction, provides feedback to parents/caregivers as to the student’s progress. Suitable applicants will be required to ensure the safe and hygienic storage and handling of foodstuffs and food preparation utensils.
Suitable applicants will ideally have good interpersonal and communication skills, along with the ability to be organised and flexible in a dynamic environment. The Education Assistant – Special Needs would ideally be friendly, approachable and flexible and have a genuine interest in supporting students with educational needs, and pastoral care support. You will ideally be caring, proactive, and responsive, with the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment. Education Assistants – Special Needs will work alongside teachers to ensure the implementation of the school business plan and priorities using the agreed programs and strategies. The ability to work with small groups of students assisting them socially and academically and Education Assistants who have worked with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Down Syndrome are highly desirable.
Esperance PS staff are committed to a strong sense of culture that has been developed collaboratively based on a set of shared beliefs on teaching and learning. We are seeking Education Assistants who can commit to our team orientated, highly collaborative and passionate team.
Everything we do at Esperance PS is about children and doing what is best for them. As a school, we build on the foundation laid by parents and carers and we encourage them to become actively involved in school life. The staff of Esperance PS work tirelessly and with overwhelming moral purpose, to ensure all children’s academic, social and emotional needs are considered, planned for and met. Our Tribes Agreements of Mutual Respect, Attentive Listening, Personal Best, Appreciations/No Put downs and Right to Participate drive our school values and allow our students to connect as a community and develop shared responsibility towards each other and our wider community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Esperance Primary School can be found by visiting www.esperanceps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Gareth Palmer, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Esperance, by telephoning (08) 9076 3600 or emailing Gareth.Palmer@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 6 December 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.