Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS721245
Connolly Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Gardener – Handypersons for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2022.
As Gardener-Handyperson you will ideally have a passion for the outdoors and an ability to work with team members to create and maintain a safe, enjoyable outdoor environment for students, staff and the community.
Suitable applicants will be responsible for maintaining the presentation of the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition. Applicants will be required to maintain a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping and ensure all reticulation is working effectively. You should also have proven experience in marking formal and informal sports areas and the ability to perform minor repairs and maintenance as well as other Gardener-Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
You will ideally have the capacity to work unsupervised, with the ability to identify and recognise work that is required to be completed, without specific direction.
Suitable applicants will continue to upgrade our existing school grounds and maintain them to a high standard. We are looking for a team player to join our friendly staff who is able to adapt to the diverse role as a school gardener.
As an Independent Public School, Connolly PS has a strong sense of nurturing, inclusiveness and community. We strive to put the needs and ambitions of every student at the heart of our decisions and actions.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Connolly Primary School please visit connollyps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Melita Staley, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 6206 3202 or emailing Melita.Staley@education.wa.edu.au.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than two (2) pages, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Thursday, 9 December 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.