Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS718198
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2022
Shorehaven Primary School (PS) is seeking an enthusiastic, friendly, and dedicated Gardener – Handyperson to join as a foundation staff member.
Shorehaven PS is an Independent Public School which will open in 2022 and cater for students from Kindergarten to Year 6. The school is situated 22 kilometres north of Joondalup in the suburb of Alkimos. Shorehaven PS will service a number of rapidly growing estates. Initially the position will start at 0.6FTE and then, in consultation with the Principal, be increased in-line with student numbers.
There is an expectation that the Gardener – Handyperson will take pride in maintaining the school grounds in a clean and tidy state. Initially the successful applicant will work with the Department’s landscapers to ensure the establishment of the trees, gardens and turf. After the site has been officially handed over, our gardener will then consult with the Manager Corporate Services and Principal about how best to enhance the school’s environment. You will also be asked to perform small handyperson jobs as required.
It would be preferable that applicants have an understanding of the Department’s policies and guidelines, especially when it comes to chemicals, machinery and best practice in occupation health and safety practices.
As with all leaders in the school, our gardener-handyperson will be expected to use their initiative in working with the staff and students to develop and drive a sustainability program.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Shorehaven Primary School please visit Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact David Hall, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9561 4800 or emailing David.Hall2@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages. Please address selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
- Email your completed application form and documents to David.Hall2@education.wa.edu.au before the closing date and time
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 9 December 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.