Please note as of Friday the 26td November 2021, at 4.10pm, the closing date for this advert was amended.
Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS716228
This is a permanent part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2022
Do you have a green thumb?
Palmyra Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and dynamic Gardener-Handyperson to join their team. Palmyra PS has extensive garden and playground areas which are maintained to a high level.
As Gardener-Handyperson you will ideally have a passion for the outdoors and an ability to work with team members to create and maintain a safe, enjoyable outdoor environment for students, staff and the community.
The successful applicant will be responsible for maintaining the presentation of the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. You should also have the ability to perform minor repairs and maintenance as well as other Gardener-Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
Our motto of Moving Forward Together is important as we embrace a culture of ongoing improvement. We have high expectations of our students and staff. Our students are offered a range of programs designed to motivate and provide challenging learning opportunities across the curriculum. Our school and community work collaboratively to provide a safe, supportive and rich learning environment with opportunities for students to fulfil their social, emotional and academic potential.
Palmyra Primary School is a proven leader in sustainability, providing a focal context for learning across all year levels. Our successful applicant will ideally be sympathetic to these views and assist in the support of our multi-functional outdoor classroom area known as the “Pally Patch”.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Palmyra Primary School please visit palmyraps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Andrea Wright, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 6436 0100 or emailing email@example.com
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages. Please address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application:
Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 3 December 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.