Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS715111
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2021
Do you have a green thumb? Then Baler Primary Schools needs you!
Baler Primary School (PS) is seeking an organised and committed Gardener-Handyperson to join our friendly team.
We are seeking someone with innovative ideas and a can do attitude to enhance the physical environment of the school. The successful applicant will ideally have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy working to provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. You will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in a clean and tidy welcoming condition. You should be a team player and be able to work collaboratively with all staff. You will provide support as part of a whole school community as well as provide support to the Manager Corporate Services on school grounds maintenance. The successful applicant will be required to carry out minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
Baler PS officially opened on 9th June 1975. The school is set in lush, green, tropical gardens which provide a welcome and tranquil environment enjoyed by all. We cater for students from Kindergarten to Year 6. Our learning community is a friendly, welcoming community with a rich diverse student population of around 560 students. Baler PS provides a safe, creative and challenging learning environment within a multicultural setting, of which our gardener and sustainability programs are an integral part.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Baler Primary School please visit www.balerps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Donna Nordmann, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in South Hedland, by telephoning (08) 9172 8400 or emailing Donna.Nordmann@education.wa.edu.au.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than two (2) pages, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 8 December 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.