Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS711931
Please note that as of Monday 15 November there has been an updated regarding the application instructions.
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Thornlie Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and organised Gardener – Handyperson to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant will become part of our inclusive and culturally responsive new school community. Applicants with effective communication skills, develop and maintain good working relationships with staff and external stakeholders will be highly regarded.
As the Gardener - Handyperson you will work to provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
Thornlie PS is an established school surrounded by many tall eucalypts, it has extensive grounds for students to enjoy. Our facilities include a library, canteen, covered assembly area and dedicated rooms for music, drama, art and science and computer labs, as well as our Intensive English Centre and Integrated Service Centre for migrant families. A dental therapy centre caters for children at the school and in the surrounding suburbs.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Thornlie Primary School please visit www.thornlieps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Lesley Reti, Manager Corporate Services on (08) 9232 3450 or email Lesley.Reti@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please provide one example from your past experience that best shows your knowledge, skills and abilities in maintaining grounds and gardening equipment. Include the:
- steps you took to improve the garden or grounds;
- the equipment used machinery used;
- any repairs/maintenance necessary for the machinery/equipment, and
- the action taken to maintain your safety and the safety of others
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 18 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.