Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS710626
This is a permanent part-time (0.5FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2022.
Do you have a green thumb and a passion for the outdoors?
Hannans Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a reliable and dedicated Gardener - Handyperson to effectively contribute to and maintain the presentation of the school grounds.
As a Gardener - Handyperson you will provide gardening, grounds and facility management support to ensure a safe and clean school environment. The successful applicant will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The successful applicant will ideally have effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders. A sound knowledge of safe work practices and computer skills would also be highly desirable.
Hannans PS was established in 1992 to cater for the demand of an expanding Kalgoorlie-Boulder community. Throughout the past 20 years the school has built a strong and proud school community who are actively involved in the education of all students. Our school has a diverse student population of over 400 students from 21 nationalities including 7% of Aboriginal students. We have a strong emphasis on creating a culture of shared responsibility, caring for children and families and promoting positive mental health and wellbeing through our strong commitment to improving academic and social outcomes for all students.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Hannans Primary School please visit www.hannansps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Jeanne Burmester, Manager, Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kalgoorlie, by telephoning (08) 9068 5300 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please address selection criteria 3 and 4 by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents; or
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 10 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.