Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA711482
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Como Secondary College (SC) is seeking an effective leader to undertake the role of Program Coordinator - Student Services.
About the role
This role focuses on student wellbeing through the lens of student engagement, attendance, positive mental health and coordinating and/or delivering preventative programs addressing identified areas of concern. A deep understanding of the role of student services is vital to collaborate with the executive team to set strategic directions. A desirable quality for this position will be the ability to understand the wider school context and constructively work with other heads of learning area and the administration team to achieve broader school objectives.
A key focus in 2022 will be collaborating in the re-conceptualisation and redevelopment of the roles and processes within Student Services. The aim will be to develop an integrated system that proactively addresses issues and where every staff member has a role and responsibility to maximize well-being and positive behaviour in the school.
The successful applicant will ideally have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain the enthusiasm and commitment of the staff members in their team. They will be expected to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the team by continuing to develop a calm, productive atmosphere and a culture where everyone contributes.
Strengths in Behaviour Management and knowledge of current behaviour support principles and practice, consistent with the Department of Education Managing Student Behaviour are integral to this role. Knowledge and training in WA Positive Behaviour Support (WAPBS), Classroom Management Strategies (CMS), Restorative Practices, Case Management and a detailed understanding of Department policy will be highly regarded.
About the school
Como SC is located between Manning Road and Canning Highway in the City of South Perth. Catering for Years 7-12, students can follow ATAR, General or VET pathways, preparing for university entry, TAFE or the workplace. The strong academic program is complemented by a specialist learning program supporting students in Years 7-9 who are at risk in literacy and numeracy, and, a flexible learning program students in Years 11 & 12 allowing them to make an effective transition from school to work or other training.
Como builds promising futures for our students through providing an excellent education and a rich range of curricula and extra-curricular opportunities. Central to the students’ experience at Como is a school culture that promotes learning. The school is driven by the deep belief that every student is capable of successful learning and that it is the responsibility of every teacher to ensure that all students progress. At Como every student matters. As a school and as teachers we don’t give up on students – we constantly explore new ways to engage students who are not making progress. The personal and familial attributes and circumstances relating to a student are not viewed as excuses for a student’s lack of academic and/or social progress. Instead they are viewed as challenges to be overcome.
Our Principal, Digby Mercer shares more information about this position here
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Como Secondary College can be found by visiting www.como.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Grace Bradley, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9365 2000 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 8 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.