Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS713110
Northam Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencement within the 2022 school year.
The suitable applicants will perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. It is desirable to have previous experience to assist in the delivery of planned education programs and contribute in the evaluation process for special education. You will possess good written and oral communication skills which will assist teachers and therapists when planning to meet students’ needs. Skills such as organisation, ability to listen to and carry out instructions, providing feedback and confidentiality will be desirable.
Northam SHS stands on the bank of the Avon River and has a proud and rich history of providing a comprehensive curriculum to students in Years 7-12 from the Northam and surrounding Wheatbelt districts. At Northam SHS, we build positive, honest and connected relationships to ensure that our students can contribute to their current and future communities. Our vision is 'A Community United' and the four values that underpin our vision are Courage, Collaboration, Connection and Communication.
With over 700 students, we are the largest school in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia. Northam SHS is a school where everyone matters and where our students all want to leave the school with clear pathways and opportunities for success.
Northam SHS's teaching and learning programs are always improving, providing our students with access to quality teachers and resources. We work in partnership with students, staff and parents/carers to achieve the best results for all.
Northam SHs has a focus on a safe and orderly learning environment. Led by the Student Services team, all staff provide excellent pastoral care by building positive relationships and establishing and maintaining high standards in their classrooms and school yard.
Northam SHS is a culturally responsive school and there is a strong relationship with our Aboriginal community, in particular the Elders, and through our programs including the Clontarf Academy, Wirrpanda Girls Academy and Follow the Dream Partnerships for Success.
With opportunities to prepare for university or TAFE through an ATAR pathway or apprenticeship, traineeships or employment through General and Vocational Education and Training pathways, the school has excellent facilities. These include a Trade Training Centre, delivering Hospitality and Kitchen Operations certificates, and a modern and well-resourced Performing Arts Centre. Commencing in 1921 as one of the first schools in Western Australian, we also have impressive heritage listed buildings.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Northam Senior High School can be found by visiting www.northamshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Marie-Francoise Carroll, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Northam, by telephoning (08) 9621 6300 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 8 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.