Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA711967
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
John Tonkin College is seeking a highly dedicated, enthusiastic and progressive leader of education in the fields of Science. To be suitable for this position, you should possess a strong desire to lead every student to success, a passion for developing teachers and motivating them to engage in high impact teaching strategies. You should be flexible and energetic, with the capacity to lead in a multi-campus school.
John Tonkin College has an approved specialist program – Surf Science, which engages our Year 7 to 9 students in the sciences of our marine environment. You will play a significant role in developing integrated learning opportunities in this area. We also have an emerging Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) program where your collaborative leadership will be required. Your role may evolve in the future to include other areas of leadership.
In collaboration with the Principal and members of the administrative team, the Head Of Learning Area (HOLA) - Science will provide educational leadership in the school and the community by developing and promoting the school vision and aligning learning area planning with the strategic targets set out in the John Tonkin College Business Plan. The HOLA - Science will provide an active leadership role in the ongoing development and implementation of a positive and caring learning environment across the school. Excellent communication and organisational skills will be highly regarded.
John Tonkin College, centrally located in the City of Mandurah, provides outstanding opportunities for secondary students. The college offers a broad choice of courses and programs for Year 7 - 12 students in the Peel region as well as the southern metropolitan corridor.
John Tonkin College is named after one of Australia's longest serving politicians, John Tonkin. The late John Tonkin was a teacher, then education minister and then Premier of Western Australia. He valued fair play, hard work, tolerance, patience and believed in correct and proper teaching that developed good relationships with students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about John Tonkin College can be found by visiting www.johntonkincollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or download the relevant attachment below.
For further job related information:
Please contact Kim Savins, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9583 7373 or emailing Kim.Savins@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 5 November, 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED