Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS710569
East Victoria Park Education Support Centre (ESC) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise from Term 2, 2022 and up to the end of Term 1, 2023. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements from Term 2, 2022 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2023.
Suitable applicants will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will work under general supervision or autonomously and contribute advice and expertise, collaborating with school community members to support student achievement. You will ideally be committed to enhancing students’ learning opportunities through ongoing reflective classroom practice as well as plan and engage in professional learning opportunities which includes collaboration with colleagues. You will also contribute to and maintain a team environment.
Experience in working with students with Autism and challenging behaviours would be highly desirable.
At East Victoria Park ESC our vision is all staff, parents and carers working together to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for all students to learn and develop to their optimum potential. We provide each child with opportunities, through individual education programs and small group teaching, to maximise the development of physical well-being, positive responsible attitudes and skills for life-long learning.
Our school caters for approximately 40 children from Kindergarten to Year 6 with intellectual and/or physical disabilities. An enthusiastic team of teachers and Education Assistants are specifically trained to support our students. They are committed to providing children with a quality education in a safe, inclusive learning environment.
We use structured programs which effectively support students with learning difficulties. Each student has an Individual Education Plan which is reviewed regularly. These plans are formulated in consultation with the parents, teachers and therapists and recognise the child's individuality. Children are encouraged to understand the values of respect, environmental responsibility, citizenship and self-regulation.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about East Victoria Park Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.eastvictoriaparkesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Jayne Paganini, Principal by telephoning (08) 6228 0750 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 5 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.