Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS711642
Suitable applicants from pool process SS/SS674298 need not apply
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
O'Connor Education Support Centre (ESC) is seeking to establish a pool of innovative and passionate Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
As a Special Needs Education Assistant you will assist and manage students who have challenging behaviours. We are seeking suitable applicants who will ideally be able to use their initiative, provide input and work collaboratively with teachers to ensure the delivery of high quality, student-focused learning programs. To be suitable for this role you will ideally have effective interpersonal and communication skills to provide support to ensure the learning environment is inclusive, relevant and caters for the needs of the child.
O'Connor ESC is an inclusive environment situated on the same site as O'Connor Primary School (PS). We foster the core values including respect, co-operation, friendship and achievement and especially caring and inclusion. We value our cultural and natural heritage and encourage all students to respect the cultures of all. We aim to nurture all students academically, emotionally and socially, encouraging them to reach their full potential in our changing society. As an Education Assistant at our school, you will ideally reflect our motto “Empower today for tomorrow”. You will value the whole child, acknowledging that academic, social, emotional and physical pursuits are equally catered for and addressed.
O'Connor ESC is located in Kalgoorlie-Boulder and lies 600km east of Perth. It is primarily a mining and service city. O'Connor PS and ESC were constructed in 1996 and the schools have continued to grow steadily.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about O'Connor Education Support Centre can be found by visiting oconnoresc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Julie Bergersen, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Boulder, by telephoning (08) 9068 5257 or emailing Julie.Bergersen@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 11 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.