Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS709535
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Northam Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer to join their Student Services team.
To be successful in this role, you will be reliable and flexible, whilst providing support and effective assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, their parents/carers, teachers, the school and the community through the knowledge, understanding and sharing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, language and culture. Part of the role of the successful applicant will be to act as a liaison between the community and the school in order to develop a program that is relevant to both educational and cultural needs. Aboriginal and Islander Education Officers assist and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring and pastoral care to ensure their participation and achievement in the school environment.
At Northam SHS, positive relationships and a respectful approach to working with Aboriginal students is important. Strong skills in supporting student engagement, behaviour management and attendance processes in the school would be desirable.
Northam SHS stands on the bank of the Avon River and has a proud and rich history of providing a comprehensive curriculum to students in Years 7-12 from the Northam and surrounding Wheatbelt districts students. At Northam SHS, we build positive, honest and connected relationships to ensure that our students can contribute to their current and future communities. Our vision is 'A Community United' and the four values that underpin our vision are Courage, Collaboration, Connection and Communication.
With over 700 students, we are the largest school in the Wheatbelt region of Western Australia. Northam SHS is a school where everyone matters and where our students all want to leave the school with clear pathways and opportunities for success.
Northam SHS's teaching and learning programs are always improving, providing our students with access to quality teachers and resources. We work in partnership with students, staff and parents/carers to achieve the best results for all.
Northam SHS has a focus on a safe and orderly learning environment. Led by the Student Services team, all staff provide excellent pastoral care by building positive relationships and establishing and maintaining high standards in their classrooms and school yard.
Northam SHS is a culturally responsive school and there is a strong relationship with our Aboriginal community, in particular the Elders, and through our programs including the Clontarf Academy, Wirrpanda Girls Academy and Follow the Dream Partnerships for Success.
With opportunities to prepare for university or TAFE through an ATAR pathway or apprenticeship, traineeships or employment through General and Vocational Education and Training pathways, the school has excellent facilities. These include a Trade Training Centre, delivering Hospitality and Kitchen Operations certificates, and a modern and well-resourced Performing Arts Centre. Commencing in 1921 as one of the first schools in Western Australian, we also have impressive heritage listed buildings.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Northam Senior High School can be found by visiting www.northamshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Marie-Francoise Carroll, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Northam, by telephoning (08) 9621 6303 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
An applicant may provide a confirmation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent through the completion of a Verification of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Heritage form, attached. (Applicants currently employed as AIEOs are excluded.)
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 5 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.