Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS711094
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Hedland Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic individual for the role of Education Assistant – Special Needs to join our friendly team.
The successful applicant will ideally have prior experience working with students who have behavioural, medical, intellectual and social needs. In this role, the successful applicant will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned educational programs and in promoting a supportive learning environment.
Our staff work under general supervision, and autonomously, and may also require to contribute advice and expertise, actively collaborating with colleagues to support student achievement. Ideally, the successful applicant will have a broad range of skills and strategies to meet the needs of learners with disabilities as well as a commitment towards improving student learning through ongoing reflective practice and engagement in professional learning. You will ideally show a willingness to contribute and maintain a team environment.
Hedland SHS, located in the Pilbara, is an Independent Public School catering for students from Years 7 to 12. Our school prides itself on the staff's commitment to a system of positive behaviour supports which focus on care, courtesy, respect and responsibility. These values underpin our philosophy at Hedland Senior High School. All staff strive to maintain a school culture which encourages a high standard of behaviour & performance. We take an approach that is inclusive, explicit and supports all students and staff to achieve success.
Our school has worked hard to build a positive reputation for the excellent educational opportunities it offers students, the exceptional support for staff development and professional growth and for its high standards of achievement. Staff and students are encouraged to achieve personal excellence in all aspects of their daily activities and to interact with each other and with the wider community in a positive, constructive and socially responsible manner.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Hedland Senior High School can be found by visiting www.hedlandshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Karen Ballantyne, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in South Hedland, by telephoning (08) 9172 8000 or emailing Karen.Ballantyne@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of
- employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and CareQuality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 18 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.