Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH711452
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022 with possible extension and/or permanency
Are you an innovative teacher, looking to make a difference in outcomes for students in regional and remote Western Australia?
O’Connor Primary School (PS) is seeking a passionate and dedicated Chinese Languages (Mandarin) Teacher to join their friendly school.
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- Attractive Country Teaching Program Allowance of $8 020.00 a year
- Locality allowance of $432.00 a year
- 10 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Subsidised housing
- Free relocation
About the Role
O’Connor Primary School (PS) is seeking a friendly and enthusiastic Chinese Language Teacher (Mandarin) to join their dedicated team. You will work in line with the Western Australian Languages Curriculum and have an understanding of contemporary pedagogical practices to support second language learning.
The Ideal Teacher
The successful applicant will reflect an effective teaching practice, promote an environment of active and positive learning, and provide educational opportunities and activities which enable students to achieve their highest potential. With effective interpersonal skills, you will work closely with students, teachers and the community to achieve the best educational outcomes for students.
To be suitable for this role, you will ideally have a qualification to teach Chinese, thorough understanding of the Western Australian Languages Curriculum and ideally experience delivering high quality effective and engaging programs to Chinese language students in either a primary or lower secondary context. You will also embrace the idea of delivering the curriculum through Information Communication Technology (ICT), exhibit innovation and creativity in classroom practices and be able to cater for students with culturally diverse backgrounds and a range of needs and abilities.
O'Connor PS is a friendly school that values the support and participation of the school community. The staff are dedicated and enthusiastic in their endeavour to ensure the best outcomes possible for every student. This is epitomised in the school motto 'Friendship and Achievement'.
The Location and Community
O'Connor is located in Kalgoorlie-Boulder and was named after Charles Yelverton O'Connor, the Chief Engineer for Western Australia from 1891 until his death in 1902. C Y O'Connor designed and, for the most part, guided the construction of the Goldfields Water Supply Scheme that first brought water to Kalgoorlie in 1903, as it does today. Kalgoorlie-Boulder has a population of over 30,000 and lies 600 km east of Perth. It is primarily a mining and service city. O'Connor PS was constructed in 1996 and has grown steadily to reach a population of over 700 students from Kindergarten to Year Six.
For more information about Kalgoorlie visit www.kalgoorlietourism.com.
For additional information to all allowances and housing please contact Housing and Transport at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 9264 5154.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about O’Connor Primary School can be found by visiting www.oconnorps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Stephen Delfs, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kalgoorlie, by telephoning (08) 9068 5200 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Hold full, non-practising or provisional registration with the Teacher Registration Board (TRB), or be eligible for full, non-practising or provisional registration prior to commencement of the position. (Applicants who require a Limited Registration to teach from the TRB are not eligible). Information regarding eligibility may be obtained by contacting TRB on (08) 9230 0600 or for Country callers 1300 652 911 or trb.wa.gov.au.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Thursday, 4 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.