Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA711703
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Balcatta Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a highly motivated, energetic and innovative Head of Learning Area (HoLA) – Technologies to provide exemplary team leadership to maximise outcomes for all students. The successful applicant should provide purposeful and focused leadership to the Technologies team as well as establish accountability for the effective daily management of the Technologies learning area. With the ability to lead change and innovation, you should use evidence-based data to inform all decision making.
As the successful applicant, you should use your highly effective interpersonal skills to continually drive improvement by providing effective proactive leadership that is strategic, inspiring and supportive across the multi disciplines of Technologies. In this role you will ideally be responsible for the analysis of performance data related to the Technologies learning area. You should utilise documented planning at learning area and classroom levels that are based on data analysis and teacher self-reflection, that also address school priorities and the contextual needs of the learning area.
You will ideally lead the team’s implementation of contemporary pedagogies by providing expert curriculum guidance and instructional strategies to ensure that all teachers are delivering quality teaching and learning programs that meet the individual needs of students. A thorough knowledge and evidence of the application of the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) Teacher Standards is highly regarded. Applicants should have a high level understanding of the Technologies curriculum of both lower and senior school courses. Experience in teaching across a number of the Technologies contexts is preferable.
At Balcatta SHS we are committed to providing an engaging, creative and challenging curriculum focussed on twenty first Century Learning Skills in an inclusive learning community with strong emphasis on pastoral care and student achievement. The school is currently in the first year of POD (Parent Owned Devices) and the ability to grow student engagement and staff capacity in the Technologies learning area with the use of technology is required.
Balcatta SHS is situated in the northern suburbs of Perth. As an Independent Public School, we make decisions at the local level to ensure our students have opportunities for success and to better meet the needs of our school community. We have a long and rich history of providing students with an inclusive and enriching educational experience, embracing diversity and valuing difference. Our teachers and support staff know their students and are committed to creating a positive, engaging learning experiences where students can achieve their full potential. The recent completion of major building projects has secured new classrooms and facilities that are state of the art and promote student engagement and success.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Balcatta Senior High School can be found by visiting balcattashs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Daniel Drummond, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 9345 8200 or emailing Daniel.Drummond@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 3 November, 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED