Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS710507
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Are you ready to take on new challenges?
Harrisdale Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a dedicated and professional Student Support Officer to join their Health and Wellbeing Team.
As the Student Support Officer your primary focus will be on supporting the attendance, behavioural and social/emotional developmental needs of students. Focus will also be on identifying and resolving barriers to educational engagement to facilitate improved academic achievement.
The successful applicant should have highly developed interpersonal skills and work well as part of a team. They will use well developed strategies and skills to deal with students, staff and families in a variety of situations. They will ideally have the skills required to implement a range of interventions, programs and initiatives that promote improved outcomes for students. This may be mentoring, counselling, conflict resolution, assisting in restoring attendance, assessing levels of risk, inter-agency linkage and case management. In this role they will maintain comprehensive records and adopt a collaborative and consultative approach at all times. The Student Support Officer may spend time interacting with students during breaks or in the classroom.
Harrisdale SHS offers a wonderful opportunity for local students to access a high-quality secondary education close to home. Currently, the school has an enrolment of 1614 students in Years 7 to 11. In 2022, the 'Year 7 Class of 2017' will graduate as Year 12 students.
Harrisdale is a rapidly growing suburb located approximately 28 kilometres south of the Perth CBD. The school is located on Laverton Crescent, adjacent to the City of Armadale's new playing fields and sports pavilion and Harrisdale Primary School.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships.
- Effective planning and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing priorities within timelines.
- Good research, conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to identify problems and provide solutions.
- Skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students experiencing difficulties.
- Knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations and services.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Harrisdale Senior High School can be found by visiting www.harrisdaleshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Angie Thomas, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9397 8000 or emailing Angie.Thomas@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 3 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.