Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/DP710700
This is a permanent, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022.
Looma Remote Community School (RCS) is seeking a Deputy Principal to join their team.
The successful applicant will play a significant curriculum leadership role across the school, as well as the key portfolios of behaviour management and enrolments. An understanding of explicit instruction principles and practice is an advantage due to Looma RCS being part of the Kimberley Schools Project which is based on scientific research of effective instruction. To be successful in this role you will have excellent interpersonal skills, organisational skills and resilience.
Looma RCS has been at the forefront of Aboriginal Education for many years. As a recent winner of the Excellence in Aboriginal Education Award the school continues to innovate its practice so as to improve the learning outcomes of Aboriginal students. The school leadership team is required to have strong working relationship with community council and external agencies. The Looma Community has high expectations of the school and the expectation that all students should achieve success at school.
The School’s Leadership Team facilitates the creation of a positive learning environment that balances academic rigor with strong culturally responsive school processes. With over 90% of our student population and 50% of staff being Aboriginal, an understanding of living and working in rural and remote settings would be beneficial but not essential.
The school is located in the Kimberley region of Western Australia approximately 130 km south east of Derby, some 30 km south of the main Derby to Fitzroy Crossing Highway. The school services the Looma Aboriginal Community (Population of 400) and the town of Camballin (Population of 40) approximately fifteen minutes from the school. Looma Community is built at the base of the picturesque Grant Range and the school enjoys magnificent vistas of the surrounding hills and rock formations that give Looma its name.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Looma Remote Community School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Paul Jefferies, Principal on 91684400 or by emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for three (3) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 5 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.