Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS710582
Newman Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of School Officers for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2022.
We currently have 1x Permanent full-time vacancy available.
About the role
As a School Officer you will be the first point of contact for our school and will be responsible for completing administrative duties including greeting all visitors, answering the telephone and responding to routine enquiries and requests for information. The successful applicant will ideally have a friendly, positive and caring attitude with a growth mindset, and possess the qualities to promote excellence within our school and to interact with parents and the wider community.
The suitable applicants will also possess attention to detail, the ability to meet deadlines and work well within a team environment. You will model effective and quality customer and administrative support service delivery and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work in collaboration with administration team, school support staff, our school community and teaching staff. In addition, you will support student-related activities such as assisting with student enrolment procedures and operate a range of software packages particularly databases and word processing.
Newman SHS is the Iron Heart of Education in the mining town of Newman in the Pilbara. Our vision and moral purpose is to educate and inspire students to become productive citizens and lifelong learners. The Newman Way values of Care and Compassion, Respect and Responsibility underpin the way in which we work with students, families and the community. The school motto 'Iron Heart' represents the strength of character, resilience and perseverance we aim to develop. We acknowledge and respect the Nyiyaparli traditional owners of the land on which we learn, and the Martu custodians.
The location and community
We acknowledge and respect the Nyiyaparli traditional owners of the land on which we learn, and the Martu custodians. Newman, originally named Mount Newman until 1981, is a town in the Pilbara region of Western Australia. It is located about 1,186 kilometres (737 mi) north of Perth. Newman is a modern mining town, with homes contrasting with the surrounding reddish desert.
For more information about Newman visit Australia’s North West
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience in providing general office administrative support with ability to organise and prioritise tasks effectively.
- Ability to use computers and a range of application software packages, particularly databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including application of customer service principles and practices.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newman Senior High School can be found by visiting www.newmanshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Trudy Leger, Manager Corporate Service, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Newman, by telephoning (08) 9175 8100 or emailing Trudyanne.Leger@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 9 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.