Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS711794
Suitable applicants from pool process IPS/SS682325 need not apply
Are you passionate about supporting teachers to educate students with disabilities?
Aveley Secondary College (SC) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year.
Aveley SC is seeking enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs to join our team. Our Education Support Program enrols students who have moderate to severe intellectual disability, Autism Spectrum Disorder with High Educational Need, and students with complex physical disabilities and sensory impairments. The Education Support Program delivers differentiated, individualised learning programs linked to each student’s Individual Education Plan, the Western Australian Curriculum, and Abilities Based Learning Education (ABLEWA). Support is also provided to mainstream students with disabilities, including Autism Spectrum Disorder. Education Assistants need to be able to work across both contexts as required.
Our curriculum focusses on functional literacy and numeracy, communication, social skills, protective behaviours and independent living, leading to employability skills including workplace learning. As part of our inclusive philosophy, students participate in the Arts, Technology & Enterprise, Home Economics and Health and Physical Education either with their mainstream peers or as a discrete class. Suitable applicants will support the Department of Education’s main objective of educating students by assisting the teacher when delivering planned educational programmes and encouraging an inclusive and supportive learning environment.
As an Education Assistant you will participate in professional learning opportunities to further build your skills and knowledge. In joining our dedicated team of teaching and non-teaching staff, you would ideally be willing to contribute and work as part of this team and display a commitment to working collaboratively and building positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the wider community. Suitable applicants will ideally be versatile with the ability to work well under pressure and as a team player.
Education Assistants assist students with all activities of daily living and ideally are able to work under limited supervision and may be expected to participate in a team situation, offering expertise related to their particular area. Education outcomes are determined by the teacher, with the Education Assistant performing tasks which require skill and discretion in problem solving, decision making, and choosing methods and processes to achieve outcomes. These duties may require you to supervise students within or outside the school context without the presence of a teacher.
The ability to support specialised education for students with moderate to severe intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, sensory impairments and complex communication needs, and/or students with Autism Spectrum Disorder and High Educational Need, is highly desirable. Suitable applicants will ideally be highly effective in engaging and motivating students, and assisting the teacher to manage an appropriate learning environment. It is highly desirable that applicants can contribute to a supportive and positive classroom, possess effective interpersonal skills and be able to work collaboratively in a team context.
Aveley SC opened in 2018 with a Year 7 cohort and has a current enrolment of over 800 students. It will continue with an additional cohort each year until 2023 when it will have the full range from Years 7 to 12. The College is committed to an ethic of excellence. There is a strong progressive and future focused approach in meeting student needs. Our aim is to prepare students with the 21st century skills of teamwork, collaboration, and creative problem solving. The College has an emphasis on engaging curriculum that has high levels of integrated technology embedded in lessons, opportunities for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths (STEM) and the Arts.
The College utilises current research into teaching and learning and school improvement, which has led to the implementation of Explicit Direct Instruction (EDI) as the College’s signature pedagogy and approach to curriculum planning. Although this is a mandated whole school approach, there is support and professional development for staff to build proficiency in utilising EDI for planning and lesson delivery. Aveley SC has a positive behaviour framework that is built on the premise that we develop the whole child: academic skills, social and emotional intelligence, as well as students who are engaged with the local community and with the contemporary world with a strong sense of global citizenship.
Aveley SC has a diverse offering of Academy courses for students that operate as extra curricula options. The College has state-of-the-art facilities including spacious general classrooms, dedicated Science labs, Cooking and Textiles rooms including a commercial kitchen, Sports Hall, playing courts and oval and outstanding Visual and Performing Arts facilities. It includes a dedicated Education Support Program with specialist facilities and staff for students with high needs.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Aveley Secondary College can be found by visiting aveleysc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Sonya Barrett, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 6296 1000 or emailing Sonya.Barrett@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 29 October 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.