Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS707055
Avonvale Education Support Centre (ESC) is seeking to establish a pool of hardworking and dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the development, implementation and assessment of specialised education programs. You will support the delivery of planned education programs, operation of digital technologies including communication and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. You will also provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of educational goals. In this position you will ideally be collaborative, organised, an excellent communicator, efficient at documentation and become involved in the supportive, innovative and dynamic school.
Avonvale ESC is a Kindergarten to Year 12 educational facility for students with Autism and intellectual and physical disabilities. Its purpose is to provide an environment where all students may reach their full potential in both academic subjects and independent living, enabling them to take their places as full and equal members of society.
The Centre is located north of the Avon River in the Wheatbelt town of Northam, which is 100 kilometres east of Perth. The school's catchment area includes the town of Northam and the surrounding towns of Toodyay, Clackline, Bakers Hill, Wundowie and Goomalling.
Avonvale ESC is a split campus facility. Our Early Intervention and Primary classes are located in a specialised facility on the same site as Avonvale Primary school. Our Secondary students share a campus with Northam Senior High School.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Avonvale Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.avonvaleesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Michelle O’Brien, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Northam, by telephoning (08) 9622 3610 or emailing Michelle.Obrien@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 12 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.