Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/TCH706388
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
The School of Isolated and Distance Education (SIDE) is seeking a vibrant Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) teacher to join our team. We are looking for a dynamic operator who will bring classroom energy into our online environment, inspiring and engaging our students around Western Australia and beyond. The successful applicant will be responsible for teaching Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) Politics and Law, Modern History and Years 7-10 HASS at SIDE.
For this innovative teacher role, the successful applicant will ideally have a commitment to culturally responsive pedagogy and a desire to contribute to improving outcomes for all students in regional and remote Western Australia. A deep understanding of ATAR relevant Politics and Law, and History content knowledge, and experience in successfully preparing students for WACE HASS examinations will be highly regarded.
The successful applicant should display the knowledge ATAR HASS curriculum and assessment standards, and be able to adjust teaching and assessment programs in order to support student outcomes. They will ideally have strong communication skills and a desire to work collaboratively in a dynamic team environment.
SIDE is a recognised leader in distance education in Australia and models best practice in the use of both synchronous (Webex) and asynchronous (Moodle) platforms of instruction. Our practice is both contemporary and constantly evolving, making SIDE an exciting and dynamic place to work.
SIDE has a critical role within the Western Australian education system, supporting system needs and priorities. As a teacher with SIDE, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to reach out and make a difference to students throughout Western Australia, delivering high-quality education programs to suit the varying contexts and needs of our students. Our regional visit travel program requires teachers to meet and work face-to-face with students in all corners of the state. SIDE is also expanding its delivery from a range of partner schools and applicants may be required to deliver from sites other than Leederville.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about SIDE can be found by visiting side.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Appointed applicants may be eligible for recognition of prior service
For further job related information
Please contact Laura Moore, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9311 1630 or emailing Laura.Moore2@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement of no more than five (5) pages addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to seven (7) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for at least two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Hold full, non-practising or provisional registration with the Teacher Registration Board (TRB), or be eligible for full, non-practising or provisional registration prior to commencement of the position. (Applicants who require a Limited Registration to teach from the TRB are not eligible). Information regarding eligibility may be obtained by contacting TRB on (08) 9230 0600 or for Country callers 1300 652 911 or trb.wa.gov.au
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; and
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 12 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.