Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE689223
This is a permanent part-time (0.5FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2021
Piara Waters Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a part-time School Psychologist to join our team. The School Psychologist will be responsible for implementing school psychology services and programs for students.
The successful applicant will work with staff to put in place effective strategies to address identified learning needs, social and behavioural needs, provide individual student support to students at risk and work at a strategic level with school leaders to maintain effective responses to intervention at a whole of school level. They will ideally have experience in conducting individual student assessments, risk assessments, counselling, liaising with individual staff members and external agencies and leading Case Conferences. They will be able to work effectively with students where English is a Second Language.
As a team player within a learning support team, you will be expected to build a profile across the school and be an active part of our school community who invests in building proactive relationships with all staff, as well as students and their care givers. You will have the confidence and professional knowledge to deliver professional learning to the whole school, addressing in a proactive way the needs of our school community.
The School Psychologist is responsible for delivering direct psychological services to identified clients, applying psychological skills and knowledge to improve mental health, learning and behavioural outcomes for students in collaboration with school personnel, parents, caregivers and other agencies. They will assist with the development and implementation of school-based support services and programs, and operate as a member of a collaborative and coordinated student services team.
Piara Waters PS opened in February 2012 catering for students in Kindergarten to Year 6 and is located in the suburb of Piara Waters (South Metropolitan Education Region). As citizens of Piara Waters PS, we demonstrate respect, actively participate, engage collaboratively, take responsibility and show generosity.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Ability to implement school psychology services and programs in an educational environment to maximise student learning outcomes.
- Knowledge of the implementation and evaluation of a variety of psychological approaches appropriate for individual, group and system-level intervention.
- High level written and oral communication skills, demonstrating the capacity to produce correspondence, reports and case notes, and interview and training (facilitation) skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, which demonstrate an ability to function in a self-directed way, and as a member of an interdisciplinary team, working with a range of clients across the lifespan, Department personnel and inter-agency partners across a variety of contexts.
- Ability to apply analytical and conceptual skills to issues identification, risk assessment and analysis, intervention and evaluation.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Piara Waters Primary School can be found by visiting www.piarawatersps.wa.edu.au
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Alison Ramm, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9397 4300 or emailing Alison.Ramm@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- hold an appropriate degree or equivalent qualification which entitles provisional or general registration with the Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA); and
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching (minimum one year); or
- hold a Graduate Diploma in School Psychology (or equivalent); or
- have undertaken a minimum placement of 40 days in the school education sector as part of higher degree studies in psychology;
- hold an appropriate degree or equivalent qualification which entitles general registration with the Psychology Board of Australia (PsyBA) and have worked a minimum of three years full-time (or equivalent part-time) as a school psychologist (or equivalent position)
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Information about registration with the Psychology Board of Australia can be obtained by calling 1300 419 495 or by visiting www.psychologyboard.gov.au. Please see the Department’s Careers website for the support provided to graduate school psychologists undertaking provisional registration with the Psychology Board of Australia.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 28 June 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED