Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS686644
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2021
WA College of Agriculture – Morawa (WACOA – Morawa) has an opportunity for a First Cook to extend their skills in a high volume environment.
To be successful in this role, the First Cook is required to work well in a team environment to prepare a large volume of meals on a daily basis. The ability to work unsupervised, good planning and coordinating skills to ensure adequate preparation of meals will be highly regarded. The kitchen staff have set work hours, including weekends and split shifts and staff can work up to 10 days per fortnight.
As the First Cook, you will provide high quality, nutritious meals for college students and staff and for special functions. You will work with the College Chef and other kitchen staff to order stock, prepare and plan College meals, maintain a clean and hygienic kitchen environment in keeping with public health and safety standards. The Level 3 Cook is expected to coordinate some kitchen functions in the absence of the Chef.
WACOA – Morawa is a highly regarded College which provides Agricultural Education and Training to students in Years 10, 11 and 12.
Students are attracted from across Western Australia to study specialised agriculture through a combination of Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) subjects and nationally accredited certificates, with a focus on the agricultural, mining and trades areas. Students who have an interest in agriculture, mining or trades areas are educated on a large commercial farming property in the northern wheat belt with cropping, cattle, sheep and pig enterprises.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience in a commercial cooking environment and ability to prepare meals for approximately 100 people on a daily basis.
- Ability to instruct and supervise catering staff.
- Experience in the ordering or requisitioning of food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient kitchen operations.
- Organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise tasks to meet timelines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to liaise with individuals at all levels and work cooperatively in a team environment.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about WA College of Agriculture - Morawa can be found by visiting www.morawaag.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Lisa Smith-Cusack, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Morawa, by telephoning (08) 9971 1158 or emailing Lisa.Smith-Cusack@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 18 June 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.