Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS687765
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2021
Southwell Primary School (PS) is seeking a Gardener – Handyperson to work as part of a team to establish and maintain the school grounds.
The successful applicant will ensure minor repairs are completed in a timely manner. They will have the opportunity to work as a team and share skills to create a garden suited to the schools’ needs. It would be highly desirable that the successful applicant has knowledge of landscape and garden design, as well has appropriate knowledge of planting schedules in the local area.
The successful application will be committed to grounds improvement. They should ideally show initiative and be able to work in flexibly in a changing environment. A knowledge of aboriginal culture would be highly regarded and assist in developing a contextual garden.
Southwell PS prides itself on being a welcoming and supportive community. We are a small school with opportunity for growth. Southwell PS in Hamilton Hill, is a caring, supportive and friendly place to learn. Our vision is to give every child, every chance, every day.
We love our multicultural diversity and welcome staff who show respect for one another, share out passion for growth, have a positive outlook and are committed to developing our school vision.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Southwell PS please visit southwellps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Janine Hart, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9236 9400 or emailing Janine.Hart@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- Please address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
- Hand-deliver your completed application form and documents to the school reception, Southwell Primary School, 26 Grandpre Crescent, Hamilton Hill, WA, 6163, before the closing date and time.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 3.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 24 June 2021
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED