Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS687340
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2021
Newman Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Gardener – Handyperson to join their team.
The successful applicant will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in a clean and tidy condition and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The Gardener - Handyperson also maintains tools and horticultural equipment in a serviceable condition and provides advice and support to the Manager Corporate Services on school grounds maintenance. In addition, the successful applicant will ensure that formal and informal sports areas are marked as required and perform minor repairs and maintenance in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The successful applicant will ideally possess good understanding of all aspects of gardening, interpersonal skills, along with the ability to work independently and in a team as well as receive and carry out instructions as required. You will perform tasks and duties using safe work practices and maintain accurate gardening records.
Newman SHS is the Iron Heart of Education in the mining town of Newman in the Pilbara. Our vision and moral purpose is to educate and inspire students to become productive citizens and lifelong learners. The Newman Way values of Care and Compassion, Respect and Responsibility underpin the way in which we work with students, families and the community. The school motto 'Iron Heart' represents the strength of character, resilience and perseverance we aim to develop. We acknowledge and respect the Nyiyaparli traditional owners of the land on which we learn, and the Martu custodians.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Newman Senior High School please visit newmanshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Trudy Leger, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Newman, by telephoning (08) 9175 8100 or emailing TrudyAnne.Leger@education.wa.edu.au.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) pages. Please address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents; or
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 28 June 2021.
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.