Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS676605
Piara Waters Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of student focused and dedicated Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under teacher direction, assist in the education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. The suitable applicants will assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, social, emotional and physical skills. Competency in the use of a range of technology tools, such as computers and electronic devices would be an advantage. Also, when required, the Education Assistant – Special Needs will provide feedback on education programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals.
Suitable applicants will also assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources for use in classes, displays and demonstrations and will assist the teacher with the clean and safe storage of items after classes and activities. Ideally the suitable applicants will be able to possess a whole student approach way of thinking with an understanding of the impact of disability and trauma on the social, emotional and behavioural needs of students, possess strong interpersonal skills and an ability to be proactive in implementing individualised programs for children. The Education Assistant – Special Needs will work with students across Kindergarten to Year 6.
Piara Waters PS opened in February 2012 catering for students in Kindergarten to Year 6 and is located in the suburb of Piara Waters (South Metropolitan Education Region).
Our school motto of Learn, Grow and Thrive is just as relevant for our staff as it is our students. We welcome staff to our team with a positive attitude and a desire to keep improving our school and our outcomes and opportunities for students.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Piara Waters PS can be found by visiting piarawatersps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Alison Ramm, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9397 4300 or emailing Alison.Ramm@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A up to four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager.)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 21 June 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.