Teachers seeking casual teaching opportunities can now apply and register their school preferences through a simple online process.
The way that we recruit our casual (relief) teachers is beginning to change.
From Term 3 2021, a number of public schools will be using the new Casual Staff Seeker, an online tool that makes it easier to send you booking requests via text message. As schools start to use this tool you will no longer need to apply directly to them, or maintain your details on individual relief lists.
Casual teachers play an important role supporting students when their teachers are on leave or a school requires additional support. Supporting schools in this way also offers you many professional and personal benefits including superannuation contributions, an additional 20% pay loading, and networking opportunities.
Casual appointments can range from three hour engagements to four week appointments at a single school or educational site.
Join Merrilee Wright, principal at Malibu School as she shares 10 practical and powerful tips that will help you showcase your strengths and potential as a teacher. Whether you are looking for your first teaching job or your next career move, this webinar will give you valuable insights and tips on application writing. Register now and secure your spot!
Wednesday 24 January 2024 10:00am-11:00am AWST
How the new process works
Letting schools know you are interested in casual work is a simple, two-step process.
- Apply to this pool.
You must be eligible and qualified
- Update your online profile.
When we have accepted your application you will be given access to the Department’s Casual Staff Seeker tool. This is where you update your availability, location preferences and other information. This will be used by schools to match you to available casual work opportunities.
Applying to this pool can widen your opportunities for casual work. Whilst we transition to this new process, some schools will continue to engage casual staff using existing methods. Applying to this new pool does not guarantee that you will receive requests to work in your preferred schools. Eventually all public schools will use the Casual Staff Seeker to find, book and pay casual staff.
Read the attached applicant information at the bottom of this page or go to our website to find out more.
Who should apply
If you are a qualified teacher looking for casual teaching work, our new Casual Teacher Pool will enable you to register your interest quickly.
We are seeking applications from teachers who are current relief teachers, newly graduated, re-entering the teaching profession or looking for additional work.
Are you a pre-service teacher in your final year of study?
If you are a pre-service teacher in your final year of education study, please see the Casual Teacher Pool - Pre Service Teachers.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online. Select “Apply for Job” at either the top or bottom of this advertisement and follow the instructions on your screen.
If you are currently teaching with us, or you have worked for us as a teacher before, you only need to attach a CV to your application. We will contact you if we need more information.
If you haven’t worked with us before, you must attach the following documents to your application:
- Birth certificate or a current and valid passport
- If you provide documents under different names, you must provide evidence of your name change. Please note we do not accept driver’s licences.
- Eligibility to work in Australia if your identification documents are not issued in Australia or New Zealand, evidence includes:
- Academic transcripts identifying your course of study, including copies of undergraduate degrees and any postgraduate qualifications (if applicable). Your transcripts must include:
- your name
- university name
- course name
- units completed
- course completion or conferral date.
If you have participated (or are currently doing so) in the WA Department of Education Leap Program (formerly known as the Switch Program) you should indicate on your online application that you are qualified to teach in your Leap qualification area and/or existing qualification area, even if you have not yet completed the program.
You must also have the following:
- Teacher Registration with the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia. Teachers with Limited Registration may be considered in some circumstances. Please provide your letter from the TRBWA outlining the conditions of your registration.
- A valid Working With Children Check (WWCC) Clearance. All employees working in public schools are required to hold a valid Working With Children Check (WWCC) as a condition of employment. If you do not already have a WWCC card or proof of an application in progress (application or renewal receipt), you must lodge an application before you can commence work at a school. The WWCC application form should be signed by a nominated representative of the school you intend to work at. Further information regarding WWCC may be found at workingwithchildren.wa.gov.au
- A Screening Clearance Number. All employees must have a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and be cleared through the Department’s Screening Unit. Further information regarding screening may be obtained at education.wa.edu.au/screening If you have recently been registered by the Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA), please contact the Screening Unit on 9264 4477 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We recommend that you have all of the above documents ready to attach before clicking the “Apply for Job” button.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive a confirmation email.
You may be contacted by schools as you register your interest in casual work with them. Your referees may be contacted to verify your skills and experience.
Appointed applicants may also be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications.
If you are experiencing any trouble completing your online application, please contact the Casual Workforce Team on (08) 9264 5083 or email@example.com
EMAILED AND HARD COPY APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED