Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS680588
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 3, 2021
Do you have a green thumb and a passion for the outdoors?
Darling Range Sports College (SC) is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Assistant Gardener - Handyperson who has a passion for the outdoors and enjoys maintaining the grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of staff, students and the school community.
At Darling Range (SC), our primary focus has and always will be the enthusiasm, engagement and learning needs of our students. At Darling Range Sports College, we pride ourselves on treating each child as an individual and continually strive to meet their academic, cultural, sporting, citizenship and pastoral needs as we prepare them to step up to the challenges of the future.
The Gardener - Handyperson will provide gardening, grounds and facility management support to ensure a safe and clean school environment. Under the guidance of the Head Gardener – Handyperson, they will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management.
The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. Ideally, applicants will have effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders. A sound knowledge of safe work practices would also be highly desirable.
Darling Range Sports College is a highly successful comprehensive Independent Public School with a student population of around 995 and over 100 teaching and support staff. Darling Range Sports College first opened in 1975 as Forrestfield Senior High School and later transitioned to a sports college in 2008.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Darling Range Sports College please visit www.darlingrangesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information
Please contact Rob Lawson, Principal by telephoning (08) 9453 0100 or emailing Rob.Lawson@education.wa.edu.au.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager; and
- In no more than one (1) page, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- good communication skills.
- ability to operate and maintain equipment and apply safe working practices.
- ability to assist in maintaining both soft and hard landscaped areas.
- ability in the practical application and safe use of hand tools.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 14 May 2021
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.